| --- MULTICARTS ---
by Brett Walach
Below you can see the working details, and download
files as they become available to keep up with the latest developments.
The purpose of the Mega Multicart(MMC) is facilitate a
need amongst the Vectrex population by providing programmers and users
with the ability to develop and play multi-player games that are linkable
from one Vec to another. This link can be a direct cable, or connection
over the Internet provided by a PC. The MMC also provides users with
the ability to program any game they desire onto the cart with ease,
and no extra hardware other than a PC.
Expected preliminary working date is July of 2001. The
idea is to get some prototypes working as soon as possible, and then
pass them out to programmers who wish to help create the first multi-player
games. One that I'm sure many would want to work on is Battlezone I'm
hoping that I'll be able to present a working demonstration of it at
CGE2001 to the Classic Gaming Community and gain some interest in it.
1) Shall fit inside a standard Vectrex cartridge case (thanks
2) Shall accommodate every know game and demo up to 32KB with
a 64KB option for those who wish to implement bank switching in their
3) The cart WILL have the ability to play Animaction utilizing
the on-board RAM. This means that the user can program Animaction
onto the cart and it WILL run. Animaction's BIN file will have to
most likely have to be modified to re-map the RAM to a location outside
of the addressable 32KB of cart ROM. Special BIN, but playable Animaction.
4) Shall be programmable by the user through a PC serial port
or USB port.
5) Shall provide linkability to other Mega Multicart (MMC)
users via hard link-up or Internet.
- Dumps/Loads 256 bytes/second of RAM through RS232
connection to PC or second Vectrex console.
- PC Constantly sending/receiving (256 bytes/second times # of players)
using TCP/IP protocol via Internet.
6) Shall come with schematics, source code,
PC software, PCB layout files, and a Design Description to facilitate
further development of multi-player games and MMC enhancements.
7) Shall be cost effective.
8) Shall utilize SMT technology.
If you have comments or suggestions for the MMC, please speak up either
on the V Board,
to me via e-mail at Vectrex@inil.com
Store - VecTech
Talk - Preserves
Room - Design
It - Portals